Followers

Monday, December 17, 2012

Tradition


A couple of weeks ago I began writing my Christmas food list.  I realized just how fast the season was approaching and knew that I needed to be ready.  I went to our local Tesco store (which is as close to a Wal-mart or Target that you can get) and discovered the majority of what was on my ingredient list was non-existent.  I left the store a bit irritated as well as whiny.  Soon after getting home I looked up the items very quickly to see if I could have them shipped.  I did find most of what I needed and excitedly made the order.  To my surprise I discovered the cost of the items!  Wow, what a jump from our American prices.  I decided for the sake of Christmas I would order anyhow.  It would be completely worth it since we are so far away from our family and friends.  But then, I began the process of on-line checkout and much to my amazement some of the items had to be taken off because they were not allowed to be sold to our area.  Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse I found out that shipping the items would cost as much as the order itself.  At that point I really began to inwardly sulk and just about give up on our traditional Christmas. 

For a couple days I just didn't know what I would do.  While sitting in our family room
The Fiddler on the Roof came to mind.  I then realized how whiny I was being and what I could do different.  So this year we will be celebrating our Christmas with a traditional Irish theme and a few other places of Europe in the mix.  I plan on posting as much as I can about it as I go along.  I hope you will join me on our journey to a new Christmas celebration.  And who knows, may be some of it will become a new TRADITION!

Click here for The Fiddler on the Roof song TRADITION

Below are some of our family's traditional foods that we make at Christmas time.
(these were the foods we could not make since the ingredients were unavailable or extremely expensive)

  • Posole'
  • Chile' Rellenos
  • Green Chile Corn Casserole
  • Tamale's
  • Pumpkin Pie (yes I even eat this at Christmas)
  • Fudge (I have recently found a new recipe with ingredients in Ireland)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Peanut Butter cookies with Hershey Kisses
  • One food that I miss but have never ventured to make is my Grandmother's Empanadas.  I told myself last year that I would make them "Next year" but at the I didn't realize I would be residing in Ireland.

Items not found in Ireland are:
Hominy,  Red Chile, Green Chile, Masa, Canned Pumpkin, Corn Tortillas, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Semi-Sweet Chocolate Squares, and Hershey Kisses

I also thought that I could not find marshmallow cream.  While at Tesco yesterday they had it in the baking section and it is in a clear container called Cake Topping.  They use it as a topping for desserts but not for cooking. 

Some of the things we miss about New Mexico the most (besides family and friends) are:
  • Chile Ristras
  • The Mountains
  • Luminarias
  • Christmas lights on cars
  • The adobe home in the desert with Christmas lights and a sprinkle of snow
  • Snow







No comments:

Post a Comment