Followers

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Where We Spent St. Patrick's Day

I know this past weekend included St. Patrick's Day and many will wonder what I will be posting.  Our family decided to go outside the box and spent the weekend in London and Oxfordshire, England.  Since St. Paddy's Day is Ireland's national holiday my husband was granted both Friday and Monday off of work.  We decided to take the opportunity and go somewhere else in Europe.  Don't get me wrong, we would have loved to see the celebrations.  But, since we don't know how long we will be in Europe we wanted to go abroad and experience more of this continent. 
We do however plan on going on one more trip within Ireland.  Our plan is to go to Mayo County in the near future.  My husband's ancestors migrated from there and we want to show the kids where one of the places their descendants came from. 

Below is a picture of us in front of Buckingham Palace on St. Patrick's Day.  It was raining and very cold.  I took off my jacket only long enough for the photo to show off my Irish t-shirt.  For those of you who don't know the history of the relationship between England and Ireland you should look it up.  It is quite fascinating.  I had a friend tell me " I suppose standing in front of the colonial seat of power, wearing an Irish t-shirt on Paddy's day, is quite a statement really!"  She said this after a bit of joking conversation about our time being spent in England and not Ireland during the holiday. 
My favorite part of it all is that I am actually of English Descent but my husband is of Irish descent.  I wish we would have had a shirt that said Britain for him to wear.  Now that would have made a statement!


Below is a short video on a quick history of the Easter Rising.  I found it to be appropriate for this time of year since Easter is just around the corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment